Serving

"But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew 20:26-28

Serving is not natural. We are born crying and yelling for someone to serve us. Feed me. Change me. Bounce me. Hold me. Wash me. Eventually, as we get a little older, the me-centered life gets challenged. The idea that others also matter is one we have to be taught. I know a few people who really get it. Most of us however, don't. The consuming focus on me, myself, and I leave us very little margin to give of ourselves for others.

Jesus was and is fully aware of our perpetual struggle with "me-ism". He pulled the disciples aside for some serious coaching. "Listen guys. All you've ever seen in this old world is people wanting to be served, to be first. You must walk a different path: Serve first. Give first. Sacrifice first. Surrender first. Put others first. Then and only then will you enter into true greatness and live a life worth emulating. This is the path I walk. Come, follow me." 


Quite a half-time speech huh? I read those words and immediately I see the grand canyon sized gap between Jesus' example and my life. However, his point was not to discourage them or us, but rather to inspire. With his help, we can get over ourselves. With his help, we can all enter into genuine spiritual leadership, aka serving others. Through his service, Jesus saved the world. I'm absolutely convinced he can do amazing things with ours as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?