The Gap

"I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I would not have to destroy the land, but I found no one."  Ezekiel 22:30

I should have returned to the main trail much sooner. Wandering off alone in the woods is never a good idea to begin with, but there I was clinging to a rock on a narrow ledge with absolutely no where to turn. I frantically looked around. I cried out for help. No rescue 911. No SWAT helicopter. Nobody showed up. For several minutes, which felt like hours, certain doom flooded my heart and mind.

The prophet Ezekiel records God's intense search for help too. He didn't help. The people of Israel did. They were piling up sin and wickedness setting the table for certain and utter destruction. God was trying to avoid executing justice. He prefers mercy and grace. However, no one was found to stand in the gap of the wall. There were no righteous people positioned to hold back the rising waters of God's wrath.

I believe the noblest part of us is inspired when we hear verses like this one. From somewhere deep inside, we cry out to God, "I'll do it!" When God is searching, we want to be identified as one qualified and prepared to stand in the gap. We want to be a faithful sentry for our family and community. What needs to change, to develop, and/or be abandoned for us to take our place as part of the wall of righteousness?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?