Character


 "This place was also called Mizpah, for Laban said, "May the Lord keep watch between us to make sure that we keep this treaty when we are out of each other's sight. I won't know about it if you are harsh to my daughters or if you take other wives, but God will see it."  
Genesis 31:49-50 

Several years ago, as I was driving away from the gas pump, I noticed the amount I paid for the gas and the amount on the pump were not the same. The attendant had undercharged me by five cents. I was already running late and "it was only five cents" so I kept driving. I was haunted that next week. I saw nickels everywhere - on the counter, in the car, on the dresser, in my dreams ... Ugh! Relief finally came when the next week, I went to that same station, slapped the nickel down on the counter and blurted out, "Here's your nickel!"

Our verses today record part of a scene when two men, Jacob and Laban, enter into a treaty with each other. Given how they both had a track record of deceit, this scene of them making a treaty with each other is almost comical. Amazingly, they both honored it. During their exchange, we hear Laban speak a profound truth. "God will see it." Nothing lies outside of God's purview ... nothing. 

A very insightful definition for character: Character is who we are when no one is looking. It's the deep part of us that can only be seen by God and us. If we are right in character, everything else flows in positive directions. If we are wrong in character, no amount of acting skills can overcome it. Good news! God doesn't only see the real us, but he wants to help us become people who truly have nothing to hide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?