Seasoned Speech


"Conduct yourselves with wisdom towards those who are not believers, making the most of every opportunity. Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so you will know how you should respond to each person." Colossians 4:5-6

Upon realizing that the process was not going to be as efficient as I originally thought, two paths were laid out in front of me. I could whine, fuss and complain or I could patiently wait with a smile on my face and communicate kindly to everyone involved. To God's glory, the latter option was most prominent. Remaining respectful and calm helped everyone and made it easy to be gracious to each other.       

Paul, in his letter to this church, didn't want to sign off before telling them in no uncertain about how to behave when with people who don't share your beliefs. Wisely - so you don't miss any chance to let them know how awesome Jesus is. Graciously - so that when you speak you both preserve their dignity and provide a thirst inspiring flavor. That's what salt does.  

Our culture is vociferously antagonistic. "Get in my way? I will run you over. Disagree with what I think? I will demonize you." How do we function in the middle of such hostility? Wisely. Graciously. We must embrace our roles as ambassadors of heaven. Live everyday with eternity in view. Every person's soul matters to God and therefore should matter to us. Please, don't get distracted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?