All About Jesus

"Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation ..." Colossians 1:15-20

 
Not too long ago, I found myself in a mad search for my identity. It wasn't that I needed to go find myself or that I had amnesia of some kind. It was a search for the physical evidence that proved I am who I say I am. My new driver's license required a birth certificate, a social security card, and some kind of picture ID. It was a chore. I had to go through all kinds of papers. I had to make repeated calls to ask if this piece of evidence was sufficient. What a hassle! However, I received my new license which allows me freedoms that I value highly. It was worth it.  

 
As Paul prepared his readers for the rest of this particular letter, he was inspired by the Holy Spirit to provide them and us with one of the most powerful and detailed revelations regarding the identity of Jesus. He wanted to reassure everyone who had put their trust in Jesus that they had made the best decision of their lives. The stakes couldn't be any higher. If we get confused about who he is, we will be off track regarding all things divine from the very start. It is his person that establishes the significance of his work. 
 
If we say, "I believe in Jesus!" just what exactly are we saying? How would you define "I"? What about "believe in"? Finally, perhaps most importantly, "Jesus"? Each part has to be explained for the confession to have any meaning and significance for this life and the life to come. We can't allow what might feel like a laborious process to be avoided for one more day. So many of our struggles in life can be traced to a truth shortage. That's part of the reason why Paul gave this revelation. Read it. Study it. Talk about it. It's time for all of us to meet the real Jesus.  

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?