Treasure

"The man who finds a wife finds a treasure and receives favor from the Lord." Proverbs 18:22

Like many young boys growing up, I absolutely loved collecting sports cards. Baseball, football, basketball, it didn't matter. I would spend hours sorting them, counting them, and looking up their values in the sports card value books. I remember very vividly the anticipation of opening up the packs, hoping to get that big name player or the special limited edition cards. I put my favorites in plastic pages or cases in order to protect them and to show the other kids. My friends and I would negotiate trades that at times would take days to complete. I still have some of my cardboard treasures in a box in a closet. I don't think about them very often these days, much less get them out and sort through them. I might get around to re-engaging with my collection someday, but for now, it simply collects dust.

In our verse for the day, the author directs our attention to a much different kind of treasure. The treasure he speaks of is living and breathing and is an expression of God's highest favor. This treasure? Our spouse. For a man to find a woman who is willing to share her life with him in marriage is a treasure of the highest order. I wonder how many of us woke up this morning, looked at our spouse next to us and thanked God for blessing us with this priceless treasure? How many of us treat our spouse with the care and respect that is due a living expression God's love? I wonder how many of us love them so deeply and so powerfully that they in response view us as a priceless treasure from God too?

It's a sad day when one of God's greatest gifts to us is taken for granted. The treasure of a spouse is never to be boxed up and put in a closet. Never. Read the verse again very slowly and thoughtfully and then ask yourself this question, "Would my spouse say without hesitation that she is one of my greatest treasures?"

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?