Remember

“And the Lord said to Moses, 'Say to the people of Israel: 'Throughout the generations to come you must make tassels for the hems of your clothing and attach the tassels at each corner with a blue cord. The tassels will remind you of the commands of the Lord, and that you are to obey his commands instead of following your own desires and going your own ways, as you are prone to do. The tassels will help you remember that you must obey all my commands and be holy to your God." Numbers 15:37-40

It's a bit embarrassing to admit, but there has been more than one occasion where my wife has not let me leave the house without first pinning a note to my shirt or putting a post-it on my steering wheel. One strategically pinned note even said, "Ask me about this note" just in case I forgot the note was there. You see, I forget stuff. Big stuff, little stuff, pretty much any sized stuff. This tendency has proven to be a source of frustration for my sweetheart. Thus, the notes.

Apparently, upon reflecting on God's command to the people of Israel, I'm not the only one who has challenges remembering. The peoples' predisposition to selfish pursuit damaged their capacity to retrieve God's rules and regulations. Enter the ancient post-it note: a tassel. Attached to the corners of their clothes, these tassels testified that God had spoken and that he had no intention of being ignored.

It seems to me that we spend an awful lot of energy trying to gather more and more information about and from God while at the same resisting his attempts to make us look like Jesus. In other words, our information gathering has exceeded our obedience several times over. Are you ready? Grab a post-it note. Write, "Love God." "Love others." If that's all you remember to do today, you've had a great day.

Grace and Peace,

Tom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tested

Nothing Left

Who is Jesus?